Monday, April 22, 2013

Crazy Pain

Wow, I have had some crazy stuff going on with my back since Friday! 

As I've talked about in the past, before I started on my weight loss journey, I had a bad fall in a local park that resulted in extreme back pain and sciatic nerve issues in the right side of my back and my right leg.  That went on for such a long time, and was the worst physical pain I had ever endured.  As I have lost weight over the last 22 months, that sciatic pain had completely went away, and I can't remember the last time I dealt with it.

Fast forward to this past Friday.  Friday morning, I went to work as usual, with no back pain or issues at all.  By 10:30am, my back had started hurting, truly out of nowhere, and on the left side of my spine.  It literally started hurting while I was sitting in my office chair.  I had not done any kind of strength workouts for a week, and had done no lifting or anything out of the ordinary.  I can't pinpoint any specific action that could have caused this.

The pain got so bad that I left work early Friday and went to the chiropractor.  He did an adjustment and sent me home to ice packs and rest.  I proceeded to spend the entire weekend flat on my back in my bed, as it was the only position I could be in to get any measure of relief!  Even though I was in bed and resting for almost three whole days, doing nothing, I felt completely exhausted, and couldn't even get myself to read and dozed in and out of movies on the television.  My sweet boys came and went to entertain me from time to time by reading Dr. Suess books to me, performing little skits they made up, and climbing into the bed to watch movies with me, on the strict instructions that they had to lay still and couldn't bounce around because any kind of movement made me hurt.

Today, I had to come into work, and have been on pain relievers and using a heating pad all day, but haven't had much relief.  This feels just like the sciatica I used to get in my heavier days in my right side, only now it's in my left side.  The wrong movement makes it feel like an electrical shock in my back, that then travels down my leg with a searing pain.  There just aren't words to describe how bad it hurts.  Off and on over the weekend I would just cry, telling my husband that I never, ever dreamed I would have this kind of back pain again since I've lost so much weight.  Not to mention, the frustration over having done nothing specific to injure myself or set it off. 

So, for now, I continue to pray for healing and rest as much as possible and I appreciate your prayers as well as I mend!


DON’T FORGET:

I would love for you to check out my Facebook page and to Like it while you're there.  Just click this link to go directly to the page (you'll have to log on to Like it) and then don't forget to hover over the Like button and check the box for "show in news feed" so that you don't miss any of the posts:

www.facebook.com/FromPolyesterToSpandex

(Just a reminder/disclosure…I am not a medical professional or certified trainer, so anything I write in this blog is not intended to be taken as advice, guidance, or recommendations.  It is simply a journal of my own personal experiences.  Thanks!)

No comments:

Post a Comment